Sunday, February 14, 2010

The fatal CAT, and the attack of Prometric


Well, if you reached this place through a search engine, it is clear you understand the Title of this article and you have a slight idea of what this is about.
To those, who do not know what I am talking about, let me clear the mist. CAT(Common Admission Test) is one of the biggest exam in India for admissions to Top B-Schools. It is considered as one of the toughest exams. Originally being a paper-pencil test, it went online(Computer Based) this year. And the company which was awarded the contract to conduct the exam is Prometric.
The exam turned out to be a disaster this year and attracted a lot of controversy and wrath of the aspirants. There were cases of computer shut-downs, technical glitches, mass-cheating, people getting unfair advantage and leaking of questions(Well, that's not a big deal.. is it :p) The convenors of this exam refused to hold a retest, setting up an example of dictatorship in a democratic country.
The results which were scheduled to be out by 22 January 2010 are still not out by 15 February 2010. But the test left many heart-broken, many undeserving might get into top B-Schools.

Another consequence, Prometric is labeled as a big dud. This company attracted so much of negative publicity that it has become synonymous with failing things. Check out this real life joke which came out of two guys' conversation:

Guy1: Hey, I don't know what is wrong with my watch. It isn't working... Guy2: Why ? Did you get it made from Prometric ? HA HA HEE HEE HA HA... Guy1: I said it is not working. I didn't say it NEVER worked... HA HA HA HA

Well, the 'HA HA HEE HEE...' part was a bit exaggerated. But, this is a common joke among those people who think that CAT 2009 made a joke of them.

I am not an academician. Nor am I a CAT aspirant. But I keep my eyes and ears open. I usually talk about technology, internet and related stuff. But I keep an eye on what is happening around. But since this was about an online test, I got into more of it.
I know people who were confident of getting in IIMs(Top B-Schools in India), but now don't even expect a single call. I also know people who managed to attempt the whole paper by cheating or other unfair means, and are now sitting confident of landing up in a good B-School.
But that's how life is, and one has to go through these hard times sometime in life. But the one who remains unmoved is the one who is really successful.

No comments:

Post a Comment